27 September 2017

I Am a Hero (Japan, 2015)

One day, after returning from work late in the evening, Hideo witnesses a traffic accident in which a car crashes into a nearby pedestrian, killing the victim instantly. However, despite severe injuries including a broken neck, the victim's body stands up and walks away. Hideo questions whether this is another one of his hallucinations, but strange events begin happening around him.

I Am a Hero delivers exactly what I want from this type of film: large amounts of gore (well-done gore!), a simple story but still enjoyable and interesting, and lastly a main character that's easy to root for. This is an immensely fun film for zombie lovers, and a great action flick for everyone who just wants a good time. I liked this a lot more than Train to Busan (2016), another zombie film from South Korea, which was dragged down by endless scenes of crying and sentimental reunions and whatnot. I Am a Hero skips all but is all the wiser for it. 

It's based on a popular manga but no prior knowledge is needed to enjoy the film, and me who hasn't read it wasn't yelling at everything they perhaps got wrong in the transition from page to movie. 



Genre: Action/Horror

2 comments:

  1. Great to see new reviews!

    As a recent asian movie enthusiastic this blog is as good as it gets. So I'd just want to say my thanks and I hope you will continue as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Yes, I hope to keep writing about asian films for a long time! :)

      Delete