1 October 2014

Tetsuo II: Body Hammer (Japan, 1992)

Sequel to Tetsuo: The Iron Man, this time has the Iron Man transforming into cyber-kinetic gun when a gang of vicious skinheads kidnap his son. When the skinheads capture him, they begin to experiment on him... speeding up the mutative process.

The first time I saw Tetsuo II, my expectations were far too high. As I've said before, the first Tetsuo is one of my favorite films so I wasn't expecting anything less than amazing. So of course it came as a huge let down when it didn't even was nearly as good as the original. Since then I've gone back to the sequel with an open mind to see if I made some bad calls, and of course I did. Sure, it's still miles away from being as great as the first one but Tetsuo II is by all means a worthy sequel. The plot is less chaotic and it takes more time to develop a story, and Shinya Tsukamoto is still a cyberpunk wizard behind the camera. Just like the first one there's some really cool use of stop-motion and practical effects. So if you're a fan of the first one, give this one a chance because it really deserves it.


Genre: Horror/Sci-Fi

No comments:

Post a Comment