22 August 2014

The Bow (South Korea, 2005)

On a fishing boat at sea, a 60-year old man has been raising a girl since she was a baby. It is agreed that they will get married on her 17th birthday, and she is 16 now. They live a quiet and secluded life, renting the boat to day fishermen and practicing strange divination rites. Their life changes when a teenage student comes aboard...

Kim Ki-duk is a director that often has been praised on this blog before, and be it for Moebius (2013) or Samaria (2004), the man deserves it. For The Bow, it shouldn't be any less of that, as it retains some of Kim's trademark film styles such as very little dialogue, a small cast and minimalistic shots. Those trademarks of course go hand in hand with a slower pace, but it's not too slow by any means. One thing I found funny was how the old man shoots arrows at everyone he dislikes, I would never turn my back against him. The soundtrack also stand out, it fits the movie really well with peaceful, melodious violins that dance alongside the calm waves. 


If I only could choose a few of my favorite directors, Kim Ki-duk would without a doubt be on my list. He can convey so much emotion and atmosphere without a single line of dialogue, and films that can survive on other things than dialogue are films I embrace wholeheartedly.   


Genre: Drama/Romance

No comments:

Post a Comment