27 May 2014

Helpless (South Korea, 2012)

A woman suddenly disappears. Her fiance then sets out to find her and, in the process, uncovers layers of dark hidden secrets. One month prior to Moon-Ho and Sun-Young's wedding, they take a road trip to Andong. Moon-Ho plans to formally introduce his fiance to his parents. Along the way to Andong, they pull over at a highway rest stop. Moon-Ho goes inside, while Sun-Young waits in the car. When Moon-Ho arrives back at his car, he discovers that his fiance has now completely disappeared. Frantic, Moon-Ho looks all over the rest stop, but Sun-Young is nowhere to be found.

I love being surprised in films, especially when I think I know what's going on and imagines how it's going to end. Helpless threw a curveball at me and sent me back to square one. The suspense and thrills had me in a tight grip, and I couldn't wait to find out how this search for a lost woman would end.  Great performances, also. A kidnapping mystery may sound somewhat done to death, but I really liked this one. 

Genre: Mystery/Thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment